Open CRX File
A CRX extension file is used to add additional features or themes to the Google Chrome web browser.
CRX files are used to install browser add-ons such as games, ad blockers, and also various applications that can range from newsreaders to office packages.
Chrome extensions can be installed manually by dragging the CRX files to the Extensions window or you can also search for the extension and install it from this window.
From the Chrome Web Store you can also add CRX extensions to the browser. After clicking the 'Add +' button, Chrome downloads the extension, unpacks it, and then installs it without the need for the user to interact with the CRX file.
After installation, Chrome automatically deletes the CRX file.
As mentioned above, CRX files are compressed and use the .ZIP format, however, they cannot necessarily be opened by standard ZIP utilities, and you may require a specific application for this task.
The Opera web browser can also use CRX files with the Download Chrome Extension.
In summary, the applications that can open CRX files are:
Open CRX File on Windows Operating System
- Find a CRX file in question in Windows OS File Explorer and double click on it to launch the correpsonding application.
- If a CRX file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the file in question.
- If you know the application which can open CRX file then run it and see if there is a File->Open main menu option in the application.
- If you don't know the application which can open CRX file then try to search for "CRX wiki", "application to open CRX file" or "open CRX file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open CRX file
Rate CRX file page: 5/5 based on 19 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open CRX files, file extension crx and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...